Tuesday, July 17, 2012

More Fresh Air

If you are part of the Cabrini Breakfast Club, you hear me say this every morning. I'm getting rid of my smartphone! My brain feels overwhelmed with technology and people and things talking to me. I need a break. So I'm doing two things, going to cafes at night sans smartphone and laptop to read and write (no I can't do that home because I will watch Pretty Little Liars instead) and two taking a kayak long weekend trip somewhere, possibility Alabama in the next couple of weeks. Just need to find a kayak to borrow.

Anyways, on my way home from walking the dogs at the lake last night, I was listening to Terry Gross interview Aaron Sorkin, the writer of A Few Good Men, West Wing, and Newsroom. He was talking about how smart his family is, both parents are lawyers and they always debated all sides of issues at home. He said he didn't have the stuff to participate in those discussions, but he has a good ear and he picked the phonics of those conversations. The actual movement of sound and words, which he believes led him to be able to write tv shows like West Wing, without ever being able to actually have those intellectual conversations himself. I find this fascinating. It's hard to tell sometimes what writers really mean when they degrade themselves, because that is a hard and fast fact about the trade. Writers are the first to explain they are dumb and lazy and only write because they can't do anything else. You see it over and over and over again.


Take a listen if you didn't catch last night's episode of Fresh Air.

Renee

ps. I feel like I should contact Terry Gross and ask if I can be her blogger. I write about her nearly everyday anyway.

No comments: