Friday, June 26, 2009

Fat Bottom Girls Make the Rockin World Go Round

The world has had quite the past two weeks. I'm not going to waste my time and yours talking about the many deaths of Ed McMann, Farrah Faucett or even Michel Jackson. You've got CNN for that.

My father handed me Queen's double CD Greatest Hits when I was senior in high school, with the explanation that he had no fucking idea that Freddy Mercury was gay, but he liked him anyway. And the CDs have proven to continue to be some of the best musical experiences I have. And Bicycle Race - hello brilliant!

You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite
You say shark I say hey man
Jaws was never my scene
And I don't like Star Wars
You say Rolls I say Royce
You say God give me a choice
You say Lord I say Christ
I don't believe in Peter Pan
Frankenstein or Superman
All I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle

So yeah I get that music and supermodels who share their story of struggling with cancer as important, but I don't understand how people camp outside a hospital over night, when there are people fighting for a revolution in Iran and EPA just released 42 permits to continue mountaintop removal as a way to solve the longer term problem of achieving below 1990 greenhouse emissions by 2020 or how the House of Representatives is trying to sign a climate change bill that includes incinerators and nuclear power plants as renewable resources or the DC metro system is fucked because DC has zero rights to appropriate funding as we are not a state that two trains can crash, 9 people can die, and 70 others can suffer injuries.

It's kind of lost on me why CNN is covering Jon and Kate's divorce and the death of very troubled music genius more than the impacts of mountaintop removal or the siting of school inside an old thermometer factory and call it Kiddie Kollege.

I know most people feel overwhelmed when they hear stories about Kiddie Kollege , the war in Iraq, or CEO's getting super bonus' as we still can't pay our credit cards off because they just increased the APR by 20%. It is overwhelming and as someone that works on these types of issues everyday and who has been reading and talking about these issues for most of my life, I'm not sure how you don't continue to be overwhelmed.
One thing I think that makes a lot of sense for me is that I feel powerless when I hear those Planet Money Podcasts about the Office of Thrift Supervision and the only way to not feel powerless is to do something about it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do today about it, but it's really hot outside and it's Friday and the boy is coming to town as I type, I went to a protest outside EPA on mountaintop removal with activists who were in town for the first congressional hearing on the subject and now maybe I'll just read about some really impressive communities taking action. As I drink sangria and listen to Queen. Really, nobody knew he was gay?

Wear sunblock and drink lots of water out there!
Renee

No comments: