Monday, May 16, 2011

LA Floods, Georgia, and Treme

Hi All,

So far New Orleans has not flooded. The river is pretty high these days, but the Corps has opened two different spillways in an attempt to keep Baton Rouge and New Orleans dry. Part of Morganza spillway was opened Saturday afternoon at 3pm CST. The impacts include 25,000 people's homes and businesses will be flooded over the next several days. Farm land, wild animals, and people's belongings will be sacrificed so that 2.4 million people won't. The Atchfalaya Basin in a drought right now, which is helpful in mitigating the damage from this rising river.

I live within 1 mile of the industrial canal and the lower 9th ward, which is still at 17% population from Katrina and where you can go many blocks without seeing one home or person. I run my new puppy Georgia on the levee at on Poland St and Burgundy.

It's a strange thing to know that others are being sacrificed so that my neighborhood doesn't flood again. Those being interviewed on the radio from Stephensville and Morgan City seem to say that they understand. That they will return once the water drains.

This has been quite a year for us in the south, especially Louisiana. I've spent a bit of time in Morgan City, the Atchfalaya Basin, and Raceland. All places that are starting to flood. It won't be until tomorrow before we know if they will need to open more bays on Morganza. So far they have opened 9 out of 125 bays.

I watched the latest episode of Treme last night at the Hi Ho Lounge. A new favorite spot. The entire cast of Treme was watching it with me. I'm not sure if that is their spot to watch each show each week, but it was kind of fun watching the show with everyone.

Alright, I'm off to write a new report. Wish me good writing!

Renee

ps. Georgia is a white pitbull with little black patches. I found her on the street licking a tire and thought to myself this is my kind of girl. Scrappy, a free spirit and in need of a real home. She is about 4 months old and weighs 25 pounds. She's super sweet, will end up being a terrible guard dog.

And proof that working at home with a pit puppy is the best

No comments: