Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Mighty Good Man

Last night I had a second date with a man I met at last week's Stooges show. He happened to be sitting next to me and we struck up a conversation. He asked if I was a teacher. He said I looked like some kind of do gooder. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I did learn that his sister was a teacher and is now an administrator in Atlanta and his mom was a social worker in 7th ward for 32 years. So maybe it wasn't a complete insult on my matronly dress.

We went to Cure, this fancy cocktail place Uptown. I'm not usually a fan of Uptown, too many Uptown people. And it's about a 15 minute drive from my house. It was really fantastic. He did good. They have a huge apertif selection. I could drink my old lady drinks without being denied my first couple choices; Campari and a good Dry Vermouth. I also sampled (more than sampled) something called Scotch and Salt. It was a great mix of scotch and a few other ingredients that made it into a salty whiskey, my favorite!

As he drove me home, after I had attempted to pay yet again, he asked if men usually let me pay and then made a joke about looking through the bill to find the exact amount that I owed. I stuttered a bit and said yes, I have had more than one man ask me to pay on the first, second, and every other date. His reply was, and you let them get away with that?  As I got out of the truck, he said you know there are real men in this world. Straight through the heart! And by that I mean sucker punched in the face.

Ciao,
Renee Claire

No comments: