Friday, September 16, 2011

Another Fucking Dog

This city is ridiculous. Today at the park there was a little puppy running around with a broken leg. An older man allowed his dog to attack her while people all around the park screamed at him to stop his dog. I ran from across the park to help the poor little thing. When the douche bag was leaving, the puppy continued to stumble around and then the dude mentioned to us casually that she belonged to one of the kids on the playground side. It's like conflict looks for me even when I'm just taking Georgia for a run.

I asked all these people on the other side of the park if they had a puppy on this side. Finally about 5 kids around 7 years old said yes, one even younger was in superman pajamas. I talked to them about the fight and how I thought their puppy was really hurt. I walked with them to look at her. Then after some tense time, I convinced them that she was really hurt that I should take her for the night and bring her to the vet tomorrow. Three of us coordinated the rescue mission. I gave them my phone number and name, mostly to gain their trust so I could take the dog without having to push off a handful of kids while I take their fucking dog, while another friend called Dogs of the 9th Ward, a neighborhood dog rescue group, to find a vet and another friend agreed to take the puppy in for the night. The kids were nervous about just giving me their dog, but they were the age of following what adults tell them.

When the three of us were formulating the plan someone at the park asked me 'can you just take some kids dog away from them?" I looked at the puppy with a broken leg and looked back at the kids climbing to the top of a 20 foot fence to break into the park's neighbors backyard to steal oranges and said 'yes . . . i can'

It was so weird. Everyone at the park knew that we were the adults, that you don't allow animals to be abused, but everyone was terrified. No one really wanted to do anything. But we all stood there looking at this puppy and those kids and our own dogs and each other. My two other friends and I wouldn't leave the park, even though we had packed up and put our dogs on leashes. We just couldn't leave that dog. So we didn't. I've started keeping an extra leash and food in my car, because I so often find hurt dogs in the city.

Tomorrow we are taking her to the vet and my wonderful cousin agreed to pay for the bills.

It's like these situations find me. I swear I don't look for them. I'm always in a position to fix things, to coordinate the fixing of things. It's annoying. And really expensive. But I guess that's lot I got.

Ciao
Renee Clair

No comments: